Even if you use Google Drive to sync your document files to your computer, the gdoc files you see on your computer are just links to the Google Docs website. If you want to download them as actual files that you can edit with Microsoft Office, you need to go through the following process.
1. Head to the Google Drive page and sign in with your Google account.
2. Find the document you want to download and select it by clicking on it.
3. You can also hold down the Ctrl key and click multiple files to select multiple documents at once.
4. Right-click the selected documents or click the menu button at the top right and select Retrieve. Your browser will now download the documents in Microsoft Office format: docx for documents, xlsx for spreadsheets, pptx for presentations and so on.
5. If you have selected multiple documents, the browser will download a single zip file containing the selected documents in Office format. It is also possible to download a document while you have it open.